Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Snipped and chipped

Hello furry friends!  Just wanted to touch base with you all to see how you are doing.  Yesterday was a bit of a tense day for our furry household.  Dexter had an appointment with the vet to be, as I called it, snipped and chipped.  He went in to be neutered and microchipped.


I dropped him off at 7 am yesterday, and took him back to surgery.  They let me hold him while he got some shots, and the little trooper never even whimpered, he just looked back at his rump as if to say "oh, did you stick me, I had not noticed".  I then put him in the cage, and left before I cried.  It was a long morning of me missing him, looking at his empty crate, and praying he would do well.

At 1 pm, I called to check on him, and they said he did great and I could pick him up between 2 and 3.  You bet your bottom I was in their parking lot at 1:59.  I missed my boy.  When they brought him out, he was happy as a clam, tail wagging, and perfectly ready to accept the biscuit the vet staff gave him for being so good.  He rode on my lap the whole way home, and was acting like nothing was wrong.

After a while, he decided he needed to potty, and stood by the back door, so out we went.  He jogged and scampered around, and when he finally pottied, he realized he was a bit sore "down there", and suddenly looked at me with sad eyes, as if to say "owie Mommy, carry me in?" which of course I did.  I carried him inside and he slept on the couch next to me for 2 hours.

He is doing so well, it is just hard to keep him from running and jumping around.  I fear he will spend the majority of the next two weeks crated, as there is no other way to keep him settled.  I went ahead and put bitter orange on him so he won't lick.

I still need to register his microchip and send the license paperwork to the courthouse.  I love that he was chipped, now if he ever gets lost, someone can identify him!

So, that is what has been going on with us.  Here is a picture of the brave patient.
How are all of you doing?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Miley was so so sad after her surgery. She had a big cone on her head for a week and a half! I felt SO bad!

A MilShelb Mom said...

Awww what a cute pic of you! We had surgery when we were 6 months old... and we have also been microchipped. Mom says it is good because she will always be able to find us!
Glad you're doing well!
~Milly and Shelby

Maggie Mae and Max said...

Dexter,

You might not thinks so now but your mom did the right thing by putting you through all this. :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Unknown said...

Dexter, You do looks so brave in da piktur! I hopes your owie 'down there' feels better real soon!

MinnaK

♥ Sallie said...

I'm glad you are ok, Dexter. You are super brave!