Sunday, May 30, 2010
Caution!! Dog in the bed.
So I finally got Daddy to consent to letting Dexter sleep in the bed with us last night. And all it took was a little shock. Let me explain.
In the past Dexter has chewed through a cord for a heating pad, but luckily it was not plugged in. After a serious scolding, he pretty much left cords alone. Until last night, that is.
I was sitting on the couch, writing, and he had been running around, but it was getting pretty late, so he laid down at my feet. I was impressed at how good he was being, until I heard him give a little yelp. I looked down to see what was wrong, and saw he had chewed on my charging cord for the laptop, which unfortunately WAS plugged in. I reached down to snatch it away from him, and I got shocked a little. He had exposed a wire, and had gotten a very small jolt. Now, to me, this was so small it just made my fingers tingle a little, but to a little pupper do like him, weighing in at less than 10 pounds, I was worried this might have been enough to hurt him.
So I begged, and pleaded with Daddy, to let Dexter sleep with us. Finally, he consented, as long as I had Dex sleep on the outside of me, so he would not get rolled over on through the night. Dex slept in the crook of my right arm all night long, happy as a clam. At 6 am he rolled over on me, and changed to my right arm, because he wanted to snuggle with Daddy a little too. We got up a little bit ago, did his morning outside trip, and he ate breakfast. He is playing right now, so I think he is fine.
I doubt I can get Daddy to agree to another night in the bed, but the day is young, and who knows what trouble Dex will get into today that will require Mommy's watchful eye through the night.